Idiom/Phrase: "It's on the tip of my tongue"

 


"It's on the tip of my tongue"


Meaning

If something that you want to say is on the tip of your tongue, you think you are sure you know it such as a word, an answer, or a name, but that you cannot remember it at the moment.

Often, when you have a word on the tip of your tongue, you can remember what letter it starts with, or what sound it ends


Example Dialogs

Scene 1: Two friends are talking ...

Friend 1: What was the name of that mystery movie we saw last year? I can't quite remember the name. 

Friend 2: Oh yeah.  It was a really good movie.  The name is on the tip of my tongue. 

Friend 1: It was a strange name.  Give me a minute and I think I can recall it.


Scene 2: Two colleagues are talking ...

Colleague 1: Do you remember the name of that software we saw demonstrated at last year's trade show? 

Colleague 2:  The one that was supposed to amalgamate all customer service help tickets? 

Colleague 1:  Yes, that one. What was the name? It's on the tip of my tongue. 

Colleague 2:  It started with an "M", something like Master or Micro. 

Colleague 1:  Oh, of course, that's it. Master Data Server. Thanks.


Scene 3: Guessing a movie name

A: Can you guess this movie? (showing a video clip)

B: Wait, I know the characters. I know the main character's face. I just can't remember it. It's on the tip of my tongue.

A: It starts with the letter "T".

B: Oh, I remember it now! It's called Treasure Planet.

A: You got it right!


Example Sentences

  • Her name is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember it.
  • Wait – it’s on the tip of my tongue – her name is Fiona.
  • Oh, what was that movie called? It's on the tip of my tongue.
  • I know the answer to this question. No, no, don't tell me. Oh, it's on the tip of my tongue.
  • His address is on the tip of my tongue, wait a minute.
  • His name is on the tip of my tongue, give me a minute I'll remember it.
  • I had the answer on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't think of it in time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost