Phrase: Do you mind...?

Do you mind…?”

This is a very common question in English conversation and there are two ways to use it.


1. Asking someone to do something for you

First of all, you can use Do you mind + verb-ing when you want to ask someone to do something for you. In this case, Do you mind means Do you have any problem… (or) Does it bother you to…

Example sentences:
  • Do you mind closing the window?
  • Do you mind smoking somewhere else?

2. Asking permission

On the other hand, when you want to do the action you can do it this way:

  • Do you mind me closing the window?
  • Do you mind me smoking here?

You can also use Do you mind if + sentence.

  • Do you mind if I close the window?
  • Do you mind if I smoke here?


Situation #1. Someone asks if they can sit at your table and you think it is not a problem. You are OK if they sit at the same table. You can answer like this:


Question: Do you mind if I sit here?
Answer: No, I don’t mind. Please have a seat.
You can also answer with: "No, I don’t mind.",  "No, go ahead.", or "No, not at all. Please do so."

In general, when someone asks Do you mind and you do not mind, the usual answer is “No, I don’t mind” or “No, go ahead.”


Situation #2. Someone asks if they can sit at your table, but you think it is a problem. You are not OK if they sit at the same table. You can answer like this:

Question: Do you mind if I sit here?
Answer: I’m sorry, this seat is taken. (or) I’m sorry, I’m waiting for someone.

So, when someone asks Do you mind and you do mind, the usual answer is “I’m sorry, but…” and then say the reason why it is a problem. 


Here are some more examples:

Question: Do you mind if I open the window?
Answer: I’m sorry. I feel cold, so please don’t.
Question: Do you mind if I turn on the TV?
Answer: I’m sorry. I’m studying right now.
Question: Do you mind if I leave work early today?
Answer: I’m sorry. We’re too busy today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost