Phrase: If I were you...

If I were you ... is used when giving ADVICE about what you would do in the same situation as the other person. You imagine yourself in their position or situation and what you would do or how you would react.

  • "If I were you, I would study more."
  • "If I were you, I would stop doing that."
  • "If I were you, I would go to the doctor."

You can also change the order of the sentence

  • "I would study more if I were you."
  • "I would be more careful if I were you."
  • "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Note: Notice how the comma is not necessary with this word order.


Why do you use IF I WERE and not IF I WAS?

The reason we use WERE instead of WAS is because the sentence is in the SUBJUNCTIVE mood which means not a fact or it's used for hypothetical situations. This is a condition which is contrary to fact or reality (the fact is, I am NOT you).


EXAMPLE DIALOGUES



A: I'm really having a hard time with my job. It gives me a lot of stress.

B: Why don't you just quit?

A: "If I were
 not in debt, I would quit my job."


Tip: But the fact is, A is in debt, so A cannot quit his/her job)





A: I heard Rob didn't make it to the basketball league.

B: If he were taller, he'd be accepted into the team. Unfortunately, he didn't make it.

A: Oh, that's too bad.


Tip: The fact is that Rob didn't meet the height requirement or isn't tall enough to be accepted into the team he's applying for.



Note: 

In informal English, you will hear some people say If I was... If he was... etc. Again, this usage doesn't sound good though unfortunately it is common, especially on the internet (and social media sites).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost

Idiom: Get (something) off your chest