Phrases: Stay Up

Phrasal Verb: Stay Up 

Meaning:

  • To continue to be awake past the time when one usually goes to bed
  • If you stay up at night, that means you are not going to bed.

Related words: stay awake; not sleep


Example Dialog 1

A: Dad, can I stay up late tonight?

B: OK. You can stay up till 11:00, but just this once.


Example Dialog 2

A: It's already late. Aren't you going to bed yet?

B: Not yet. I have to stay up until my favorite late night show ends.


Example Sentences

  • "Josh could stay up all night without getting tired."
  • "We stayed up late to watch a movie."
  • "They stayed up all night."
  • "I stayed up to watch the Olympics on TV."
  • "The kids were allowed to stay up till midnight on New Year's Eve."
  • "I'll be late home so don't stay up waiting for me."
  • "We stayed up till 3:00, chatting about the old times."
  • "These days if I stay up late one night I'm exhausted the next morning."
  • "Did you stay up late last night?"
  • "I used to stay up late with my mom and watch movies."
  • "Dan's parents let him stay up late on the weekends."
  • "I let the kids stay up late on Fridays."
  • "Can I stay up late tonight?"
  • "I will finish my report even if I have to stay up all night."
  • "They stayed up drinking yesterday."
  • "Once you move out of your parents' house, it's completely up to you whether you go to class, sleep in or stay up late.


Related Sentences:

You're not answering my call. Are you still up?

"Are you still awake? I thought you're going to stay up tonight."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost