Phrasal Verb: Act up

Phrasal Verb:  Act up

Meaning: To act in a way different from that which is normal or expected.

1. Of a person, to misbehave or to behave poorly or inappropriately. If a child is acting up, they are behaving badly.

Example Sentences

  • "I could hear Jonathan acting up downstairs."
  • "The kids have been acting up again."
  • "The two-year-old was acting up in church so much that her dad had to take her outside."
  • "If you act up in class, you will be sent to the principal's office."
  • "Why do you have detention? Please tell me you weren't acting up again."
  • "With an inexperienced rider, this horse always acts up."
  • "The driver stopped the school bus because the kids were acting up."


2. Of a thing, to malfunction or operate incorrectly.

Example Sentences 

  • "My car's transmission started acting up on my way to work."
  • "My oven acted up again this morning; I think I need to take it to the repair shop"
  • "Why does this blender keep acting up? Do I have it in the wrong setting or something?"
  • "I'm not sure what's wrong with my computer but it's acting up again. "
  • This keyboard is acting up. I think I need to change the batteries.


3. Of a medical condition, to become problematic or troublesome, usually after a period of remission.

Example Sentences 

  • "Jake played football with his friends today, and now his old knee injury is acting up."
  • "It's springtime, so of course my allergies are acting up again."
  • "My knee starts acting up when the weather is cold."
  • "Her rheumatism started to act up."
  • "I just consulted the doctor last month but my right leg is acting up again."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost

Idiom: Get (something) off your chest