Phrasal verbs with "sleep" : Sleep In ; Sleep Over

 

1. Sleep in


When you sleep in, you remain in bed until later than usual. You don't need to get up early or set an alarm. This is what we usually do on Saturdays and Sundays, provided we get the chance. 

Example Sentences

  • "I was too tired to get up and go to school, so I just slept in."
  • "Sunday mornings are for sleeping in."
  • "I could just as well sleep in and nobody would notice my absence."
  • "Amelia is an early riser, but Jane sleeps in whenever she can."
  • "I think I'll sleep in tomorrow, so don't bother to get up early."
  • "I'm going to sleep in on Saturday."



2. Sleep over


This term it is used especially in American English. We sleep over when we spend the night at someone else’s house. In fact, this phrasal verb is so popular over at the US that a night at someone’s house is known as a «sleepover». Sleepovers are extremely common among children, whose parents usually set them up on weekend sleepovers with their friends.

Example Sentences

  • "Mom, do you mind if I sleep over at Amy’s tonight?"
  • "As I had no money left, I had to sleep over at my parents’ house."
  • "It’s her birthday tomorrow and she’s having a sleepover.
  • "She said his friends could sleep over in the big room downstairs."
  • "Is it okay if I sleep over at Sam's house tomorrow night?"
  • "I don't think you can catch a train past midnight, you're welcome to sleep over."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost