Phrase: (It) serves (someone) right

Phrase: "It serves you right"

Meaning: 

  • Expressing that justice happened because the person got what they deserved. 
  • If you say it serves someone right when something unpleasant happens to them, you mean that it is their own fault and you have no sympathy for them.
  • This is usually said when something bad happens to someone who continually did something bad.
  • Used to say that someone who has behaved badly deserves a particular punishment, problem, etc.


Example Dialog 1

A. "Can you believe Kim got fired from work?"

B. "Serves her right. She was always late or calling in sick."

A. "I guess you're right, but I hope she finds a new job."

B. "Me too."


Example Dialog 2

A: "I heard his wife is divorcing him." 

B: "It serves him right after the way he's treated her."


Example Dialog 3

A: "Oh my God! I've got the worst hangover ever!" 

B: "Serves you right! I told you not to drink so much."


Example Sentences

  • "It serves you right. You were not nice to him."
  • "It serves him right. He can't expect to win when he cheats during the game."
  • "It serves you right. You got what you deserved."
  • It serves you right. You feel awful for eating so much.”
  • "My girlfriend broke up with me after she found out I had been cheating on her. Serves me right, I suppose."
  • "It serves John right that Dave threw him out of his party last night. He was acting so badly."

  • "You tripped while making fun of those kids? Serves you right!"
  • "Serves her right for being so stubborn."


Other Common Sentences

"You got what you deserved."
"You deserved it."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost