Phrases with the word "chance"

Phrase 1: "Give me a chance"

Meaning:

  • We use this expression to say we need more time to do something and that the other person is being unreasonable.

Example Dialog 1

A: Have you finished the book yet?

B: Give me a chance. You only gave it to me yesterday!


Example Dialog 2

A: When will the supper be ready? I'm starving.

B: Give me a chance. I've only just got back from work!


Example Dialog 3

Alice: Come on! I need more time to finish the test. Give me a chance! 

Teacher: Would another ten minutes help?


Phrase 2: "Take a chance"

Meaning:

  • To do something that could have either good or bad results
  • When you take a chance, you try to do something although there is a large risk of danger or failure.

Related words: Take a risk

Example Sentences

  • "Sometimes you have to take chances if you want to succeed!"
  • "If you are willing to take a chance and wait for further discounts, you can look for sales when the new collections are released."
  • "We will take a chance to have the party outdoor."
  • "I won't take a chance on a July holiday in Britain — it always rains."
  • "She encourages them to take a chance on new ideas and initiatives."
  • "Success in business is simply a matter of knowing when to take a chance."


Phrase 3: "Get a chance"

Meaning:

  • As soon as you have a bit of free time.
  • When you ask people to do something, this phrase lets them know that they don't have to do it immediately. They can do it at a time that's convenient for them.
Related words: when you have free time

Example Sentences

  • "Hey, Sarah? When you get a chance, would you mind looking over these financial reports?"
  • "There's something I want to discuss with you when you get a chance."
  • "Just be ready whenever you get a chance."
  • "Please call me when you get a chance."
  • "When you get a chance, please see me at the office."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost

Idiom: Get (something) off your chest