Phrase: I stand corrected

 

"I stand corrected"


Meaning

  • Used to admit that something you have said or done was wrong.
  • I admit that I said something that was not correct.

Usage

  • You can’t always be right. It’s easy to assume that you know the answer, but when you find out that you were wrong, you must be sure to handle it gracefully. After all, everybody is wrong once in a while.
  • When you learn that you weren’t correct about something, instead of feeling embarrassed or trying to argue the fact, you can just say “I stand corrected.”

Note:

  • “I stand corrected” is a formal phrase. We use it when someone proves our opinion on something wrong (usually by including evidence to make it obvious that we were wrong).

  • You won’t typically say “I stand corrected” if someone doesn’t provide evidence. That’s because there’s no guarantee that you’re in the wrong and they’re in the right. However, it might help you to keep an open mind when someone tries to correct you on something.

Example Dialog 1

A: The bus should arrive in one hour. 

B: I just looked up the schedule. It’s actually going to arrive in two hours. 

A: I see. It looks like I stand corrected. Thank you for double-checking. 

B: No problem. Until I just checked, I had also thought that it was going to arrive in one hour.


Example Dialog 2

A: John F. Kennedy was assassinated on 1964.

B: You're wrong about the date. It was 1963.

A: Yes, you're right. I stand corrected.


Example Sentences

  • I stand corrected – the company was founded in 1927, not 1926.
  • I realize that I accused him wrongly. I stand corrected. 
  • We appreciate now that our conclusions were wrong. We stand corrected.
  • Now, after having read the book, I stand corrected.
  • I am sorry for the mistake. I stand corrected.
  • Thank you for pointing out I was wrong; I stand corrected.
  • I stand corrected, and am sorry for the mistake.
  • If I am misunderstanding any of this, I stand corrected and apologize in advance.
  • I stand corrected. I thought it happened in 1912, but clearly, it happened in 1914.
  • I stand corrected, and you have educated me on something I didn’t know much about!
  • I’m sorry I got the information wrong, and I stand corrected. I won’t make that mistake again.
  • I stand corrected! I genuinely thought it happened last year, but I guess not.
  • I stand corrected; I didn’t know all of the State Capitals after all.
  • Well, I stand corrected. I thought I knew most of it, but you clearly knew more.
  • It looks like I stand corrected! I wouldn’t have guessed that you, of all people, would correct me.


Synonyms:

Formal:

  • "I admit that I was wrong"
  • "Apologies for my mistake"
  • "Sorry, I was wrong"

Informal:

  • "My bad"
  • "Point taken"
  • "Well played"
  • "Well said"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost