Idiom: Bite off more than you can chew

"Don't bite off more than you can chew."


Meaning

  • This means to do something that is too difficult or to make a commitment that you can’t keep.
  • Take on more work or a bigger task than you can handle; something that's too difficult for you.
  • Attempt to do something which is hardly achievable.
  • If you say that someone has bitten off more than they can chew, you mean that they are trying to do something which is too difficult for them.


Example Dialog

Professor:  Hello Bernie.  I'm sorry that I have to see you again.

Bernie:  I'm sorry, professor.  I tried as hard as I could.

Professor:  What seems to be the problem?

Bernie:  Well, sir, I decided to take a full course load and I have a part-time job.  I also play hockey and am on the debate team.

Professor:  Do you think that you may have bitten off more than you can chew?

Bernie:  Maybe.  I will see what I can do to adjust my workload.


Example Sentences

  • I think he's bitten off more than he can chew taking all those classes.
  • By accepting two part-time jobs, Bill is clearly biting off more than he can chew.
  • It feels like I bit off more than I could chew when I promised to complete this worksheet in one day.
  • I am sure, she is biting off more than she can chew by promising to solve the difficult puzzle in a few minutes that I couldn’t since the last three days.
  • You’ve bitten off more than you can chew. You are trying to do too much and you can’t do all of these things.
  • To cut down on stress, try to avoid biting off more than you can chew at work.
  • Do you bite off more than you can chew with your life and then regret it?
  • He bought the old hotel but soon realized he had bitten off more than he could chew.
  • Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. You’re going to have to take a day off sometime!
  • Biting off more than you can chew is, aside from not good for your motivation, bad for your health.
  • If you have to read 100 pages this week, break it down to 20 pages a day – don't bite off more than you can chew.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost

Idiom: Get (something) off your chest