Idiom: barking up the wrong tree

 

"You're barking up the wrong tree."


Meaning

We use the expression “barking up the wrong tree” as a metaphor to describe when someone is trying to achieve something but they're doing it in the wrong way (or they are trying to get something but they will not be successful).

  • To be wrong about the reason for something.
  • To make the wrong choice; 
  • To ask the wrong person;
  • To follow the wrong course.
  • Doing something that will not get you the result you want; 


Example Sentences

  • I have been trying to solve this math problem for 30 minutes, but I think I’ve been barking up the wrong tree.
  • I tried to get information from the receptionist about the director but she was just a temporary employee, so I think I was barking up the wrong tree.
  • My roommate has been flattering her professor to try to become a teaching assistant but she's barking up the wrong tree since the department chair makes those decisions.
  • My brother keeps bugging my sister for money but he's barking up the wrong tree because she's broke.
  • You're barking up the wrong tree if you think you'll get into Harvard with your grades. 
  • If you think your boss will put in a good word for you with the director, you're barking up the wrong tree. 
  • I was definitely barking up the wrong tree when I asked my husband to pick out a dress for my office party. He has horrible taste. 
  • If he expects to borrow money from me, he is barking up the wrong tree.
  • My classmate barked up the wrong tree when he asked me to help him cheat on the exam. Not only did I not help him but I told the teacher what he was trying to do.
  • The police spent three months barking up the wrong tree on the murder investigation.
  • If you think you will solve the problem by following those steps, you are barking up the wrong tree. 
  • I am not the person who spread those rumors about you, you are barking up the wrong tree. 



Note: Click here to watch or listen to videos where this expression is used.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost

Idiom: Get (something) off your chest