Idiom: (It's) the least I (you) can/could do

 

"It's the least I can do."


Meaning

  • Something you should do
  • A polite answer to someone who thanks you (and you feel or wish you could do more)
  • A common answer to being thanked for doing something is "It's the least I could do," which is basically synonymous with "It was nothing".
  • You use expressions like 'that's the least that I can do' to mean that you are very willing to do it, or to acknowledge someone's thanks.


Example Dialogs

A: "Thanks for taking me to the bus stop." 

B: "You're welcome. It's the least I could do now that I have a car."


A: "Thank you so much for the cookies!" 

B: "It's the least we can do to repay you for looking after our pets while we were away."


A: "Thanks for cleaning up." 

B: "It's the least I can do, seeing as I'm staying here rent-free."


Example Sentences

  • If your mother cooks a special dinner the least you can do is recognize the effort she made.
  • When someone gives you a compliment the least you can do is smile and say thank you.
  • I'm sorry I broke your mother's dish.  The least I could do is apologize to her face-to-face.
  • The least you can do is be on time this evening. I'm tired of always having to wait.
  • I know you're angry with him, but it seems like he really wants to reconcile. The least you can do is hear him out.
  • No need to thank us—the flowers are the least we could do to thank you for your generous hospitality this past week.
  • I put a "do not disturb sign" on the door. The least your staff could do is not enter the room.
  • Writing a thank you note is the least someone can do when they receive a gift but few people take the time to do it.
  • The least the hotel could have done was give us a night free since there were bed bugs in our room.
  • I work so hard to provide for my family. The least they could do is keep their rooms clean and do their chores.
  • What do you think is the least you can do for your country?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost