Idiom: Climb (up) the ladder

 


Meaning

  • If you climb up the ladder or climb the ladder, you become more and more successful or important.
  • When we climb the ladder in our job to reach a higher level, we are climbing the ladder of success. When we speak of a ladder this way, it represents a series of steps or stages that leads to a higher or better position. As you climb the ladder, you become more powerful and more successful.


Example Dialogue

A: Hey, how are you? I haven’t heard from you in such a long time!

B: I’ve been good! I’ve been taking a lot of online classes. So, I just finished a business degree.

A: Good for you! I’ve been spending too much time at home watching Netflix.

B: Well, that can be fun too. But I have some career goals that I need to meet by the end of the year.

A: You are way more ambitious than me. I’m not really interested in climbing any career ladders.

B: You’re on your own. I have older parents to take care of. So, for me climbing a few more rungs on the ladder means more money and more security.

A: That is such a good point. But you still need to have fun. Why don’t we celebrate your new degree with a hike in the mountains this weekend?

B: That sounds perfect!


Example Sentences

  • You need to climb the ladder a bit before you start taking on your own clients.
  • I'm an artist at heart, so I have no interest in climbing up the corporate ladder.
  • There's no need for the sort of competitive behavior you get at companies where people are trying to climb up the ladder. 
  • If you think you can do more than you are doing in your present position, you owe it to yourself to make the effort to climb up the ladder.
  • Some people are very ambitious. They want to get ahead, so they work hard at their career and climb the corporate ladder. 
  • She realized how unfulfilling it's been to climb the corporate ladder in a field she chose just to please her parents.
  • I feel inspired by women who climb the corporate ladder and raise a family at the same time.
  • I had every aspiration to climb the corporate ladder of the fashion industry.

  • There’s a career path for those wanting to climb the ladder. You join as a team member, after three months you are promoted to become a team member staff, then you come to a fork where you can specialize, becoming a hot chef, a barista or a trainer in the shop.

  • He loves his job, with ambitions to climb the ladder and explore other areas of policing such as Armed Response or Undercover Detective.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"It's a no-brainer."

Idiom: Behind bars

Idiom: At all cost(s) / At any cost